10 lesser known facts about Deepika Padukone
Deepika Padukone has firmly established herself as one of the most bankable female actors of Bollywood. She is the highest paid Indian actress in Bollywood film industry. The dusky actress is on an all-time high on the professional front and her successful streak only speaks volumes of her dedication to her art.
Deepika has even forayed in Hollywood with her sizzling debut in ‘XXX: Return of Xander Cage’, opposite Vin Diesel. Last year, the actress got married to actor and her boyfriend of six years Ranveer Singh and their grand wedding had created quite a buzz in B-town.
Deepika has a huge fan following with over 34 millions fans on Instagram. Well, these days celebs share bits of their personal and professional live with social media. Scoopyowl shares these little known facts about the queen of Bollywood, Deepika Padukone that every die-hard fan must know!
- Deepika wasn’t born in India. She was as born in Copenhagen, Denmark on 5th January, 1986 and later moved to Bangalore, India when she was 11 months old. She is daughter of famous badminton player Prakash Padukone. Like, her father, Deepika is also excellent badminton player. She had played badminton at the National level. She is also a baseball player as she had participated in some of the state level baseball tournaments. If Deepika had not been an actress she would have been a badminton player just like her champ-dad Prakash Padukone whom she hero-worships. Deepika’s younger sister Anisha Padukone is a golf champion.
2. Deepika had the acting genes in her right from her birth. She is related to the legendary filmmaker Guru Dutt, whose real name was Vasanth Padukone. As a child she was introduced to modeling, appearing for couple of advertising campaign. She stepped into glamour world at the age of 17. Deepika became a full-time model in 2005 and gained popularity with her first TV commercial for Liril soap. After that ad, she got attention in the modeling industry and later on the cast for Kingfisher calendar shoot.
3. Deepika was originally supposed to make her debut in Priydarshan’s Pirate about musical piracy. She was to be cast as a member of a rock band. That film never got made. It was Kannada film Aishwarya (2006) that marked Deepika’s silver-screen debut. She played the titular role in the film. Though many think she made her debut with Bollywood film Om Shanti Om. Director Farah Khan decided to cast her in Om Shanti Om after watching her in Himesh Resahmiya’s music video ‘Naam Hai Tera’. DP was supposed to make her Bollywood debut with Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Saawariya’. But Bhansali decided to sign Anil Kapoor’s daughter Sonam opposite Rishi Kapoor’s son Ranbir instead. Ultimately, Deepika’s debut film released on the same day as ‘Saawariya’, and ‘Om Shanti Om’ turned out to be the more successful film. Later, Deepika gave three blockbusters – ‘Ram Leela’, ‘Bajrao Mastani’ and ‘Padmaavat’ with SLB along with her beau Ranvir Singh.
4. She is the first actress ever to have delivered 4 consecutive 100-crore hits. In 2013, Deepika delivered 4 back-to-back hits, all of which earned 100 crores, namely ‘Race 2’, ‘Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani’, ‘Chennai Express’ and ‘Ram Leela’.
5. Deepika took training in Jujutsu, a Japanese martial art, and Kalaripayattu, an ancient art of Kerala for her roles. The actress performed her own stunts.
6. ‘Cocktail’ was one of Deepika Padukone’s best works in the Bollywood industry. She totally nailed the role of Veronica and fans lauded her performance. However, it wasn’t Veronica’s role which DP was initially offered by the makers. According to initial reports, the actress was offered both the roles – i.e Meera and Veronica. But, since Deepika’s character in ‘Love Aaj Kal’ was similar to that of Meera in ‘Cocktail’, she decided to go ahead with Veronica.
6. In 2014 for the Tamil film ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ she was paid US$ 460,000 for two days worth of work in the film. The film was shot with motion capture technology for the first time in India.
8. Deepika Padukone, who is currently busy shooting for her upcoming film ‘Chhapaak’, is a big-time foodie. Recently, Deepika took to her Instagram to share an adorable picture while eating captioning, “forever hungry…& nothing’s changed!”
9. In the famous Ghoomar song from the Padmavati DP has ghoomed over sixty-six times. Well, she didn’t notice this, however, was stunned to know once her fans discovered it.
10. Deepika have adopted Ambegaon village in Maharashtra as a part of NDTV’s Greenathon Campaign. She helps the village with water and electricity needs.
Talking about her upcoming films, Deepika Padukone is currently busy shooting for Meghna Gulzar’s Chhapaak. The film is based on the life of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal. The actress recently wrapped up Delhi schedule of the film.